Celebrate National Career Development Month!
National Career Development Week 2015: November 16 – 20, 2015
National Career Development Day 2015: November 18, 2015
Each year, the National Career Development Association hosts National Career Development Month in November. During NCD Month, each state is encouraged to promote career related activities and events through the state divisions. The Ohio career Development Association (OCDA) invites you to celebrate with us this year!
Last year was the 49th Annual Poetry & Poster contest, “ReImagining Life’s Possibilities: Celebrating First Jobs Through Encore Careers.”
Watch here for details about the 50th Annual Poetry & Poster contest!
2014 Poetry and Poster Contest winners will be posted soon!
There are many ways to get involved and spread the word:
1. Promote career development activities in your everyday work with students and clients. Please see the handouts entitled NCD Month Ideas for K-12 and NCD Month Ideas for Higher Ed and Community.
Here are a few examples of what you can do to promote National Career Development Month:
- Have students draw pictures of careers they see people doing in their everyday lives
- Read career focused books during story time
- Have students create a career family tree
- Highlight a different career pathway each week
- Prepare classroom guidance lessons on career awareness, decision making, research, etc.
- Arrange a job shadowing day or a career assembly with community members
Higher Education Ideas:
- Host a career fair with local employers
- Host a Dress for Success event or an Etiquette Dinner
- Help students set-up informational interviews to explore careers paths more in-depth
- Encourage faculty to host classroom presentations on career content like choosing a major or resume writing
Community Outreach Ideas:
- Provide free workshops to community members on resume writing and the job search
- Encourage clients to join LinkedIn and start building their network
- Host a networking reception for a specific career industry
- Write a career article for the local newspaper
2. Promote the annual Poetry and Poster Contest sponsored by the National Career Development Association. NCDA coined 48th Poetry and Poster Contest theme as “Charting the Course for the Second Century.”
***Each entry should celebrate and inspire career development with a positive tone while emphasizing the national theme.
Contest Division Areas:
Primary Grades: K – 2
Intermediate Grades: 3 – 5
Middle Grades: 6 – 8
Senior Grades: 9 – 12
Adult Student: 18 and older enrolled in school
Open Adult: 18 and older not enrolled in school (teachers, parents, professionals…)
Requirements for Poems
Poetic Form: Use of any acceptable poetic form (e.g. cinquain, free verse, diamante, haiku, limerick, metered, rhyming, blank verse).
Size: Submit each poem on a single sheet of paper, 8.5″ x 11″ in 12 point font.
Requirements for Posters
Lettering: Simple bold lettering is preferred. Captions are to be used to convey the theme, attract attention, and to achieve goals of clarity, vigor and originality. All lettering will be considered part of the design.
Category 1 (C1): Standard use of ink, pencil, poster paints, magic marker, acrylics, and oils.
Category 2 (C2): Use of photos, clipart, graphic art software, collage, cut and pasted paper, and mixed media.
Size: Each poster must be created in 8.5″ x 11″ format, including matte, to be eligible.
If you have any questions, please contact Kimberly Moss at email@example.com
WILL SOMEONE YOU KNOW BE OHIO’S FIRST NATIONAL WINNER?
National winners are recognized with the winning entries placed on the NCDA website, www.ncda.org. The winning entries will also be on display at the Annual Global Conference. In addition, National winners will receive from the National Career Development Association, a certificate and a special congratulations gift.